Steps to Approval
Faculty or even students may initiate partnerships with your agency or program in order to fulfill Academic Internships and Service Learning course requirements, however, the steps to becoming an approved site for hosting students from these courses involve communication with the Center for Community Based Learning (CCBL). Please contact the Community Partner Coordinator, Stacy Becker (826-4963, firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
- Identify paid staff who will supervise students and ensure a safe, inclusive and educational experience.
- Confirm whether or not your site is already approved.
- If your site is not approved, your organization will need to complete the following documents (customized by the CCBL office):
- Complete the Cal Poly Humboldt Learning Site Agreement (LSA) Example LSA.
- Complete the Learning Site Self-Assessment (SSA) Example SSA.
- Have the LSA and SSA signed by your legally authorized signer and return them to Cal Poly Humboldt for final approval.
- Once all is complete and approved, the Learning Site Supervisor completes and signs the following two student risk documents (provided by the student; depends on course instructor):
For further details, reference Internship Guide for Community Partners and the U.S. Department of Labor Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act
Humboldt Programs as Host Learning Sites: On occasion, students may (with faculty approval) complete Service Learning or Academic Internship course service requirements on campus, with a Cal Poly Humboldt program. Direct Cal Poly Humboldt programs do not need go through the Learning Site approval process (i.e., no LSA/SSA required), however, the document link here provides guidance and requirements in these cases.